Our Language School – Information on Visa and Insurance


Entrance without a visa

Citizens of countries belonging to the European Union as well as citizens of Iceland, Norway and Switzerland do not need a visa for Germany.

Citizens of Andorra, Australia, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino and the USA merely require a specific residence permit with the intention to study in Germany. This residence permit has to be requested not later than three months upon arrival in Germany at the local Alien Registration Office.

Entrance with a visa

Citizens of all other countries have to apply for a visa at a German embassy or consulate in their home country. There are three different types of visas for the purpose of learning German and/or studying in Germany:

  • the language course visa
  • the study applicant’s visa
  • the student visa (visa for study purposes)

Please note that you can only apply for a visa in the country of your residence. You cannot apply for a residence permit after having entered Germany without a visa or with a tourist visa. A tourist visa cannot be changed into a student visa or a language course visa.

A language course visa is valid only for the duration of the language course. It cannot be changed into a visa for study purposes. If you want to participate in a German language course with the aim of studying in Germany, you have to indicate it in your visa application. If you intend to study in Germany, you have to apply for a student visa or a student applicant’s visa.

If you want to study in Germany and are interested in more detailed information on visa issues, please have a look at www.study-in.de.

Inform yourself

The information presented here may differ from the current German visa conditions. Therefore, you should always inform yourself at a German embassy or consulate in your home country. General and current information can be found on the website of the German Foreign Office: www.auswaertiges-amt.de.

Visa checklist for a German language course at Sprachschatz

In order to obtain a visa for a German language course at Sprachschatz-German Language School, you should follow these steps:

  • You inform yourself ahead of time which entry regulations for Germany are applicable to you personally, online (on the German Foreign Office’s website) and at the German embassy or consulate in your home country. Note that the processing of a visa application may take several weeks or months.
  • You register online for a language course on the website of our language school, indicating (in the „notification“-box at the end of the form) that you require a visa. It is important that you enter your passport number into this box.
  • Within three working days, we will send you a confirmation of your registration and an invoice for your chosen language program. There, you will find all information on our bank account.
  • In accordance with prior agreement, you transfer a partial or the total invoice amount to our bank account, stating the invoice number and the name of the course participant. Please note that payment by credit card is not possible.
  • As soon as the payment is posted on our account, we will send you a booking confirmation and a confirmation of the receipt of payment via e-mail.
  • You check the information carefully and confirm that name, address, date of birth, passport number, course type and course dates are correct.
  • We will send you a confirmation of registration by e-mail or post. This confirmation can be presented at the nearest German Embassy. Please note that delivery by post usually takes approximately 5-7 working days and sometimes even longer. If the documents must be sent by express courier, we will have to charge an additional fee of € 80. Please be aware that a confirmation of registration by Sprachschatz is no guarantee for getting a visa.

Health Insurance

Please inform yourself prior to your trip whether your health insurance covers your stay in Germany (e.g. the blue European Health Insurance Card, EHIC). In case your health insurance is not valid for Germany, we strongly recommend that you take out health insurance for the duration of your stay.

There are many different insurance companies where you can purchase health insurance right after booking a language course.

We can recommend the Private Health Insurance for Language Students by Care Concept. This health insurance costs € 26 (or more) per month. You can book directly online and print out an insurance confirmation immediately afterwards.

Private Health Insurance for Language Students


Care College – Health Insurance for Students

Who can take out insurance?

The health insurance Care College is designed for the needs of language students, guest students, scholarship recipients, postgraduate students, participants of international projects of institutions of higher education, exchange programs, such as ERASMUS, SOKRATES or the DAAD, Working-Holiday, Work & Travel, Work & Study as well as further education and study trips abroad. This health insurance can be purchased until the age of 35.

What does the insurance cover?

The scope of services includes outpatient, inpatient and dental treatment by all licensed physicians worldwide at the normal local fees.

What does the insurance cost?

The premium of the health insurance in “Care College Basic” costs € 26 per month in the first 18 months, in “Care College Comfort” € 31 per month and in “Care College Premium” € 52 per month.

Accident and Liability Insurance

In addition to the international health insurance, we recommend taking out the personal accident and liability insurance. We can recommend “Care Protector” which you can purchase for € 2 (or more) per month in combination with the health insurance “Care College”.